The Arkanssouri Blog.: Quick entry to let you know . . .

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Quick entry to let you know . . .

... that I have not been incarcerated or kidnapped.

First, the fridge repairman never came, and didn't TELL us he wasn't coming. Even avoided answering our voicemails. So we stayed home and waited. Yesterday, after I made a quick trip to the local hardware store to try and find someone else, and began telling people how he was jerking us around, we received a call from him. By that time, however, we had a confirmed appointment from someone else, who showed up yesterday afternoon and took a look at the fridge cleared some of the ice around the drain hose and suggested we wait a couple of days and if that didn't fix the problem, give him another call. Didn't even charge us to come and look at it. That is because Rick Clark, unlike Gary Bowers, appreciates potential customers.

Then there was the storm Friday (Video here) that tried to blow Thayer away. I have yet to find any estimates of windspeed, but I've been through a tornado passing directly over my house before, and this one was scarier. The sky was as dark as I've ever seen it when it wasn't dark. And from the looks of it, my little house was right in the middle of it. Uprooted trees and broken branches all over Thayer, including three in my backyard and two in the alley between my yard and the next. The biggest was about 18 inches at the base. I don't know how they missed the house, garden, and garage. Trashed Thayer's electrical system. Our power was out 15 hours, most of Thayer's wasn't restored until Sunday, and there are still some that aren't restored yet. Cable was out until Sunday, and one of the librarians said Internet access was still down when they left the library yesterday.

My chainsaw-for-hire uncle and I got all the big stuff cleaned up in the backyard yesterday and piled it into a huge brushpile right in the middle of the backyard. Gonna be one helluva campfire one of these days, after it dries out a bit. The pile is a cone about ten feet tall and close to twenty feet in diameter. It would be even more gigantimongus if we hadn't cut the logs into about four-foot sections.

So, I'm going to spend the rest of today cleaning up the rest of the yard, and I'll probably have to take tomorrow off to recover.

The Quill's got a story up, but look fast because their setup over there is retarded and the story will disappear in a day or so.



No banners. No pop-ups. No kidding.
Make My Way your home on the Web - http://www.myway.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on Blogwise Blogarama - The Blog Directory
<<-Arkansas Blog+>>