The Arkanssouri Blog.: MO LP pissing match follow-ups.

Wednesday, October 06, 2004

MO LP pissing match follow-ups.

In my Inbox today:

Hi "vote-libertarian",

You have every right to criticize the leadership or lack thereof of the MOLP.

Your e-mail did not include a real name. Words carry a great deal more weight
when the person who writes them stands behind them.

Criticism is even more valuable when it is accompanied by concrete suggestions
for how the situation can be improved.

I agree with the point that the leadership of the MOLP should not play favorites.
I have stressed that point privately to a number of people, including Bob.
Although I may not agree with what Bob has done recently I am willing to cut
him some slack. He has worked very hard the last four years as the MOLP State Chair.
Frankly, I think he is getting burned out and frustrated. Bob has already said
he will be stepping down after this term.

Perhaps these issues can be raised when the MOLP elects a new State Chair and
Executive Committee next March. I hope you will participate in that
process in a positive way to help the MOLP move forward.

Regards,

Glenn Nielsen
Webmaster, District 9 Executive Committee Member
Missouri Libertarian Party


While I believe the position's validity exists independently of the identity of the person making it, if you want a name, here you go -- John Hutchison. Go crazy. I guess I sort of assumed you'd find my name on my weblog.

There was also this pissy little note from Bob Sullentrup in my inbox:

Dear John Thayer,

In as much as you did not bother to contact me to get my side of this before you post, I prefer to not fill you in on important details that you have missed.

That way your ignorance remains exposed, and you will reap the consequences that you have sewn.


Sewn? Should I get out my needle and thread? One who doesn't know the difference between sewing and sowing has no business lecturing others on their 'ignorance.'

Tell me, Bob (or should I add another 'o' to your name), in what context is this

Sullentrup said that Swenson showed up ill-prepared, ill-groomed and "wearing a Hawaiian shirt" at a recent forum with the other governor candidates.


NOT an anti-Libertarian, elitist, clique-loving, Eastern-liberal snobbery? What could YOUR "side of the story" do to disabuse me of my notion me that you believe people who don't conform to your little business-suit-wearing model have no business running for office as a Libertarian?

2 Comments:

Blogger Kevin Whited said...

Hey, Libertarians may be goofs when it comes to, you know, winning elections and things, but they're PRINCIPLED goofs!

Seriously, if influencing policy is the goal -- and it is my goal -- I think one is better served by getting behind pro-liberty Republican orgs like the Club for Growth.

They do more important things than arguing about attire and refusing to "correct" items in a blog post because you didn't subject said post for censorship beforehand.

What a bunch of goofs!

10:00 AM  
Blogger The Last American said...

The problem with supporting people like the Club For Growth is that, even if you succeed in getting them elected, you are also boosting the power of the social conservatives by strengthening their hold on majorities in both houses of Congress.

I go back to my argument that a noble individual in a corrupt organization, such as the Republican Party, cannot maintain his nobility. The are no good gangsters.

As for goofy arguments, the reason I get into them is that when one is willing to compromise his principles (Libertarians are against dress codes, remember?) over the small things, would it not follow that he would be willing to compromise his principles over the large things? Probably even MORE willing.

You cannot have integrity without consistency. While I do not fault individuals for being occasionally inconsistent, organizations such as the Missouri Libertarian Party are another matter.

I suspect that there are other reasons for the MOLP's unwillingness to support this guy. If that is the case, THOSE are the reasons that should have been given. If they are valid reasons, honorable people would have no problem listing them.

But giving an interview listing illegitimate reasons, such as not going to a hair stylist every week, or wearing a Hawaiian shirt, or that he doesn't kiss enough ass to the state LP inner cabal, as the reason they're not supporting him serves no purpose other than to demean the man.

I had enough of the "in-crowd" demeaning people for not wearing the right (meaning the most expensive) clothes in high school. Adults should be beyond that.

8:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on Blogwise Blogarama - The Blog Directory
<<-Arkansas Blog+>>