The Arkanssouri Blog.: Spatial anomaly.

Friday, March 18, 2005

Spatial anomaly.

You know those times when you're going somewhere and when you get there, you don't remember portions of the trip? Maybe it's not just a memory error. Maybe you actually did skip them.

I think I encountered a spatial anomaly yesterday. Just in case we would get compensated for mileage to and from jury duty, I reset my trip odometer back to zero before leaving yesterday morning.

The distance from my driveway to my parking spot at the courthouse was 17.3 miles.

The distance from my parking spot back to my driveway, following the same route, was 17 miles.

This is not a case of a divided highway, where one direction may actually BE longer than the other. It's just a simple 2-lane rural highway.

Did I encounter a spatial anomaly?

Or is there another explanation?

As I understand physics and relativity, the closer a traveller travels to the speed of light, the shorter the distances become, not just as perceived but in actuality. On the trip TO the courthouse I was going maybe 45 mi/h, because it was about the time deer start to frolic along the roads. On the return trip, I was in a pack of cars that had just been let out of the courthouse, so I was going probably about 60, due to drafting help and the lessened risk of getting a ticket, because I was in the middle of the pack, not the front or the rear.

Is a fifteen mi/h difference enough to shorten a 17.3 mile trip to 17 miles? Or did I encounter a genuine spatial anomaly?

3 Comments:

Blogger Tom Hanna said...

Remember Kevin's rule: Did you take more inside curves on the return trip?

4:01 PM  
Blogger Tom Hanna said...

Different time of day. Your tires might have been a different volume due to temperature differences.

Or maybe the aliens picked your car up and set it down in a different spot. You didn't get an anal probe did you?

4:02 PM  
Blogger The Last American said...

The Esteemed Mr. Hanna said:

"Or maybe the aliens picked your car up and set it down in a different spot. You didn't get an anal probe did you?"

You should know. You were the one doing the probing! :)

I'm just going to chalk this one up as being one of those Great Unsolved Mysteries in Life, like "Is toothpaste a solid or a liquid?" and "What's the frequency, Kenneth?" and "Why does anyone pay any attention to Paris Hilton?"

But if I had to guess, I'd say the best answer is -- WORMHOLE.

No, Mr. Hanna, not CORNHOLE. WORMHOLE.

8:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on Blogwise Blogarama - The Blog Directory
<<-Arkansas Blog+>>