The Arkanssouri Blog.: Nope, no bias there.

Friday, August 05, 2005

Nope, no bias there.

I distinctly remember a segment of Crossfire where James Carville goes on an obscenity-laced, taking god's-name-in-vain tirade against Tucker Carlson. It's conspicuously absent from the search engines I'm trying to use to find it, but it is discussed here. And Tucker Carlson mentioned it on the final episode of Crossfire.

From what I remember, no disciplinary action was taken against Carville.

Yesterday, in the Strategy Session of CNN's Inside Politics, Robert Novak said "This is bullshit...just let it go," and walked calmly (I saw it; in no objective measure can it be called "storming") off the set, knowing that he was about to be asked about the leak case, which he is prevented from discussing due to a gag order. CNN knows he cannot discuss it, and was going to ask him anyway.

This tells me CNN was not trying to get information. They were trying to hang him out to dry. They knew he had two options -- 1. Answer their questions and go to jail for doing so. Or 2. Follow the law and don't answer their questions and look like he is evading the answers.

The choice was, in fact, bullshit.

He chose a third way -- call it like it is and refuse to provide the rope for his own lynching.

I'd have done the same thing.

CNN suspended him indefinitely. Apparently, only liberals can spew obscenities on CNN.

I kind of think Carville knew it was coming, because although the moderator Ed Henry got flustered by Novak standing up, taking off his microphone, and walking off the set, Carville seemed unphased by the matter and kept on talking.

I would LOVE to know what the behind-the-scenes types on Inside Politics were saying in Novak's ear, because his reaction doesn't match what was being said onscreen at the time.

Although CNN hasn't said so, I think today may be the last day for Inside Politics. Starting Monday, the time slot will be filled with something called The Situation Room, anchored by He-Who-Asks-Stupid-Questions*. So unless IP is rescheduled sometime else, it looks like it may have bitten the dust.

At least they went out with a bang.

I just hope "Inside the Blogs" can still find a place somewhere on CNN.

[Update: You can read a transcript here, for now at least. I can't guarantee how long CNN will keep it up, but here's the moment in question:

NOVAK: A couple of points here: The first place, don't be too sure she's
going to lose. All the establishment's against her and I've seen these
Republican -- anti-establishment candidates who do pretty well. Ronald Reagan, I
guarantee you that the establishment wasn't for him. We just elected a senator
from Oklahoma, Senator Tom Coburn, everybody in the establishment was against
him. She might get elected -- So, wait. Just let me finish what I'm going to
say, James. Please, I know you hate to hear me, but you have...

CARVILLE: He's got to show these right wingers that he's got backbone. Show
them you're tough.

NOVAK: Well, I think that's bullshit. And I hate that. Just let it go.

(Novak leaves set.)

HENRY: OK. James, what do you think though, seriously about this Senate
race, James, that the -- that basically the Katherine Harris and Bill Nelson, if
they do square off, what do you think -- what will that mean for Bill Nelson?
He's considered an endangered incumbent.

CARVILLE: Yeah. I don't think -- I think it's actually pretty good news
that far down, because I think they thought this speaker would be a tougher guy.
It was just one of these things. I think Nelson's feeling pretty good right now.
It won't be a primary. He'd rather not have a primary. But I suspect he's
feeling pretty good.


See what I mean about the reaction not matching what was said onscreen?]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on Blogwise Blogarama - The Blog Directory
<<-Arkansas Blog+>>