The Arkanssouri Blog.: Of similes and metaphors.

Saturday, June 24, 2006

Of similes and metaphors.

Amanda Lee Myers, or her headline writers at the AP, needs to learn the difference.

Here's the headline:

Crews Say Ariz. Fire a 'Caged-Up Coyote'

Which lead me to the smartass retort to myself, "No, it's a fire."

But then here's what was actually said (emphasis mine):

"This fire is like a caged-up coyote," said Mike Dondero, deputy incident commander for the fire. "It's trying to get out 24 hours a day."


Saying Thing A is like Thing B is not the same as saying Thing A is Thing B.

I amuse myself (and almost certainly only myself) with my grammatical smackdowns.

[H/T 2 Drudge.]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on Blogwise Blogarama - The Blog Directory
<<-Arkansas Blog+>>