The Arkanssouri Blog.: Boo-yah!

Friday, March 18, 2005

Boo-yah!

Got to the courthouse for jury duty yesterday. Waited in the hallway for an hour and a half to be called.

Then we were all herded into the courtroom and told the case was settled.

Unfortunately, I actually would have LIKED being on the jury for this one. From what I gathered, it was a condemnation/eminent domain case for a highway project. I think the decision for the state to steal the land had already been made, and the jury would have been given the task of determining fair compensation for the property owners.

If I'd been on the jury, I would have held out as long as I needed to in order to give the property owners whatever they asked for.

In a free society, fair value of something is whatever the OWNER of that something says it is.

How much money did the state spend to bring this to trial so they could get out of paying the owners their asking price?

If the owners had said they wanted a billion, I would have held out to give them a billion. But they had no way of knowing that, so they gave in to the unbearable pressure of the government and settled.

Too bad.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on Blogwise Blogarama - The Blog Directory
<<-Arkansas Blog+>>