The Arkanssouri Blog.: This is in the 5% area where I disagree with the Libertarians.

Monday, April 10, 2006

This is in the 5% area where I disagree with the Libertarians.

Almost two decades ago, when I first took a variation on the World's Smallest Political Quiz, there were two questions on it that kept me from being at the very top of the ideological map. I don't know if the quiz has changed, or if I took an offshoot quiz, but those questions aren't on the quiz that pops up all over the internet today. One question dealt with the military -- I believe in a robust (though voluntary) military to defend our nation. (Two decades later, I still haven't figured out how to PAY for such a military, since I don't believe in taxes, though.) The other was on immigration.

That brings us to today. I have nothing against legal immigration. But what is lost on today's protestors is that the debate is about illegal immigration. And there are some points on illegal immigration that should be considered.

First, when one enters this country illegally, he is demonstrating a willingness to break our laws to get what he wants. Is this the kind of person we want here? The kind of person who should be rewarded with citizenship?

Second, there is a process in place to enter this country legally. The illegals chose not to follow that process.

Third, instead of demonstrating in America, why aren't these hundreds of thousands of people demonstrating in Mexico, for reforms that would make Mexico a place they wouldn't want to leave? Mexico is poor because of it's corrupt government, not because of a lack of any natural resources or local industries. Why not change their country instead of demanding that we change ours?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on Blogwise Blogarama - The Blog Directory
<<-Arkansas Blog+>>