The Arkanssouri Blog.: Once in awhile, I do these things called "Little Revolutions."

Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Once in awhile, I do these things called "Little Revolutions."

Whether it's hiding Karl Marx books behind the others in the library, or writing "Who is Ron Paul?" in chalk on a park sidewalk or turning down the air conditioner to keep the utility company from getting a few more cents, I do little things to oppose the encroachment of growing government on our individual liberties and pocketbooks.

This next one may be so small as to be called a "Micro Revolution."

For several years, I've noticed that by manipulating the dates that electric and water meters are read, the City of Thayer Utilities Department can and perhaps does get more money out of ratepayers than it should. (I would explain how, but it's complicated. UPDATE: I did explain it [badly] once, here.)

Until last April, there was absolutely nothing that could be done about it. But with a new crop of aldermen and a new mayor came an opportunity to do something the previous council had vigorously opposed -- a city audit.

The morning after a bid was approved for the audit, the company that was selected got an email pointing out the possibility of reading manipulation.

Last night at the city council meeting, the auditor brought it up to the council and the council agreed that meters should be read on the same day every month.

It may not add up to more than a few dollars every month, but those are MY dollars, not the city's.

La Resistance lives on.

3 Comments:

Blogger Tom Hanna said...

Blame Canada, Blame Canada!

6:41 AM  
Blogger The Last American said...

Every dollar I keep the government from getting is one less dollar they can oppress me with.

9:28 AM  
Blogger Tom Hanna said...

Oh! Come and see the violence inherent in the system! Help! Help! I'm being oppressed!

Oh, what a give-away. Did you hear that? Did you hear that, eh? That's what I'm on about. Did you see him oppressing me? You saw it, didn't you?

Bloody peasant!

3:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on Blogwise Blogarama - The Blog Directory
<<-Arkansas Blog+>>