The Arkanssouri Blog.: Why don't they sell cigarettes by the each?

Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Why don't they sell cigarettes by the each?

Today marks about a month since I began my latest attempt to quit smoking.

Note that I say "attempt."

Prior to yesterday, I had fallen off the wagon only twice. The first time, the mother of two of my high school friends had passed away. Dealing with visitation night meant dealing with crowds of people, and I needed some way to stave off a panic attack. I bought a pack and smoked it up over the next two days.

Quit again. Was going along great -- no withdrawal, no real urge to smoke.

Then, about a week ago. Plumbing problems. Water (thankfully, pre-flush water) flooding all over the bathroom floor. All day operation. Got thoroughly pissed off and needed a smoke; I guess to punish the toilet or reward myself for dealing with an obstinate toilet or something.

Bought a pack. Smoked it up over the next two days. Half a pack would have been adequate. My snit was over after smoking less than ten. But I had the rest of the pack there, so I had to smoke them up.

Some people say you can store cigarettes in the freezer. I know from experience you can't. They act just like baking soda, absorbing all the odors and rancid flavors floating around in there and wind up tasting literally like vomit. And not good vomit such as spaghetti, either. They taste like the vomit one would have after siphoning a car through a douche hose.

And my thrifty nature just won't let me throw away half a pack of unsmoked cigarettes.

But I stray . . .

Then came yesterday. All it took to set me off yesterday was receiving promotional Marlboro Menthol coupons in the mail, and a mention from my aunt that I had quit smoking. I don't know what it is about it, but I would rather people not talk about me trying to quit smoking. It always causes an urge to fire one up.

She left. I went to the convenience store and bought a pack of Marlboro Menthol 100's. Didn't even use my coupons. They were for cartons and I bought (buy?) mine by the pack.

I still have six of them left.

I keep telling myself that I am not perfect, and if perfection is my goal, I will fail.

And three packs in a month is a helluva lot better than the 2+ packs a day I was smoking.

Right?

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know that in bad neighborhoods of Jackson, Mississippi, they sell cigarettes one at a time, and I can tell you that one can usually buy cigarettes from folks in bars one at a time if you offer them like 50 cents a cigarette, and you usually get the third and all subsequent cigarettes free for being a nice guy and offering to pay for them in the first place.

Hang in there, you'll be better off, long-term, if you can quit.

R

3:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on Blogwise Blogarama - The Blog Directory
<<-Arkansas Blog+>>